turkey sliders and homemade chips

IMG_7752
Today is the beginning to a summer holiday weekend and what doesn't say summer like burgers and chips!? I am not a big meat eater and but when we do eat it we typically try and replace red meat with a leaner option- turkey meat. Lately we have been loving turkey sliders- the perfect little bite size burger with all kinds of simple and delicious toppings- perfect for a light dinner or even for a backyard party!




Untitled-1
I start by seasoning my ground turkey meat (this is always changing and I am always trying new things).
For this batch I used a little smoked paprika, some Italian, seasoning and a dash of tabasco, 1 egg and shedded cheese.


IMG_7747
I mixed well and then formed them into bite size patties, keeping in mind that they will shrink a little when cooking.




IMG_7748
Next I cook them up- you could also grill or for a really healthy option- bake in the oven.




IMG_7749
I also cooked up some turkey bacon- again a little healthier option than regular bacon.




IMG_7750
I think the secret to a yummy slider is a good roll- my favorite to use is a Hawaiin sweet roll.




IMG_7751
I start building my sliders with the roll and patty




IMG_7769
and then add all kinds of different toppings- you can get really creative with this or keep it simple.




IMG_7757
grilled mushrooms, spinach, dijon mustard and sharp cheddar cheese




IMG_7758
pickle, turkey bacon, cheese and a dollop of blue cheese


IMG_7756
grilled onions, cheddar cheese and spiced mayo


IMG_7755
dijon mustard and shredded parmesan cheese


IMG_7754




IMG_7760
All of the sliders get the top bun and a little toothpick to hod them together.




IMG_7761
mmmm...so yummy!




IMG_7767


chips
You can't have a burger without something to go with it! I LOVE homemade potato chips- not the healthiest but once in a while you gotta do it! Using a mandolin slicer, I start by slicing up a potato into paper thin slices.


Next, I heated up vegetable oil in a sauce pan (filled about half way)
I dropped the potatoes in and fried until they were golden brown.


IMG_7927
I soaked up the excess oil by placing chips on a paper towel




IMG_7932
and then seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh herbs.




IMG_7936
what better way to enjoy a slider than with a handful of fresh, homemade potato chips!


Komentar