working with a still life

IMG_8110
When I was in college taking drawing and painting classes- I HATED working on assignments that involved working from a still life. Back then I was really rebellious about my art- I didn't think I needed to learn anything traditional or work from subject matter that I considered boring, I just didn't see the point.

So it is ironic that now, years and years later, I utilize working from a still life all the time (talk about full circle)! And often the subject matter is not exciting at all but instead everyday objects from around the house set up in a simple grouping. What I have discovered over time (after I got all that rebellious art major out of my system) is that taking the time work on and improve your creative skills through discipline and practice will help improve your skills in other areas. While my still life practice paintings are not perfect with perspective or dimension, I have found a way to incorporate my colorful whimsical style with everyday subject matter- which turns out isn't so boring after all!

IMG_7978
IMG_8100
IMG_8106
IMG_8107
IMG_8113
IMG_8117

IMG_8125
IMG_8003

IMG_5638
IMG_8062

IMG_8061

IMG_7973
IMG_8140

Komentar