tank top toddler skirt

When the end of summer arrives, I find myself doing a lot of cleaning, organizing and downsizing of my closet. Part of my process is actually going through the clothing I don't need and finding new ways to repurpose it. 

This year I had a handful of tank tops that shrunk but I knew they could be used to create some cute toddler skirts for Lucy! Creating kids skirts from t-shirts and tanks tops is SO crazy simple and fast and a really wonderful way to upcycle clothing. I'm not always thrilled with a lot of the pattern and color choices in kid's fashion so upcycling adult tops are a fun way to add unique pieces to your child's wardrobe.

Begin by cutting the straps off a tank top. My tank tops were the perfect length for Lucy so I simply cut the straps off but you can adjust the length and even the width depending on the size of your child.

Keep in mind that you will be folding the top over and adding elastic which means you will loose another 1-1 1/2 inches.

Next, turn the skirt inside out. 

Fold over the top edge (about 1 1/2 inches) and pin it and then sew it in place leaving a 1 1/2 opening. 

Cut a piece of elastic (I used 1 inch elastic) that is the length of the waist and insert it into the casing. 

Sew the ends of the elastic, letting them overlap just a little and then sew the opening of the casing closed.
In a matter of minutes, the skirt was finished!

It was so easy I sewed three more!

Such a fun and easy way to breath new life into old clothing!

Komentar